Current:Home > reviewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Last 3 men charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan governor found not guilty -Momentum Wealth Path
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Last 3 men charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan governor found not guilty
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 05:22:32
The SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centerlast three men to stand trial in connection with a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have been found not guilty on all counts.
Eric Molitor and twin brothers William Null and Michael Null were among the 14 men charged in state and federal court over the alleged plan to kidnap the governor at her vacation home in Antrim County in 2020, largely over the Democratic governor's strict COVID-19 shutdowns.
Molitor, 39, and the Null brothers, both 41, had pleaded not guilty to state charges of providing material support for terrorist acts and illegally possessing firearms.
The Antrim County jury reached its verdict on Friday after about a day of deliberations following a three-week trial. Molitor broke down in tears of relief after his verdict was read.
During closing arguments on Wednesday, prosecutor James Rossiter told the jury that the defendants were going to help the plot leaders "bring terrorism to Antrim County."
"If you're going to help somebody, knowing that they planned a terrorist act, that's wrong," Rossiter said.
MORE: Opening statements set to begin in final trial over alleged plot to kidnap Michigan's governor
Molitor's defense attorney, William Barnett, said in his closing that the state's case is "weak" and accused the prosecutors of attempting to mislead jurors in their presentation of evidence.
"This thing just became a good story they couldn't back out of. They're here pulling the shortcuts to try to get somebody convicted, an innocent person," Barnett said.
Prosecutors argued during the trial that the three men "hated" their government and assisted in the kidnapping plot, with the Nulls providing the "muscle" and Molitor recording video of Whitmer's Antrim County property.
William Null and Molitor testified in their own defense, claiming they didn't know the true nature of the plot until the last minute.
William Null told the jury that while on a nighttime surveillance mission, he didn't know they were going to the governor's cabin.
Molitor testified he feared for his life during surveillance of the cabin with Adam Fox, one of the plot leaders who was convicted on federal charges.
"What happens if we don't do this stuff?" Molitor told the court. "He wasn't saying, 'Shoot somebody' -- that would have been a hard no. He didn't say, 'Blow something up' -- that would have been a hard no. He said, 'Take a video.' I took a video."
Michael Null declined to testify.
The men were linked to the militia group the Wolverine Watchmen, prosecutors said. They were arrested in October 2020 after a member of the group turned into a confidential FBI informant once talk turned to harming law enforcement and public officials, according to prosecutors. Whitmer was unharmed.
Previously, nine of the militia members have been convicted in state or federal court in connection with the alleged plot, while two have been acquitted.
Pete Musico, Joseph Morrison and Paul Bellar were found guilty by a jury in Jackson County of providing material support for a terrorist act, the most serious charge, as well as firearms charges and membership in a gang and given yearslong state prison sentences in December.
MORE: The alleged kidnapping plot against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, as told in photos
Fox and Barry Croft Jr. were found guilty of federal conspiracy charges in a retrial last year after a previous trial ended in a hung jury. They both received double-digit sentences.
Kaleb Franks and Ty Garbin pleaded guilty to lesser charges last year and agreed to testify in the federal case against Fox and Croft. Franks was sentenced to four years in prison, while Garbin was sentenced to 30 months.
Brian Higgins and Shawn Fix each pleaded guilty to reduced state charges earlier this year in Antrim County and have agreed to cooperate with prosecutors. Both have yet to be sentenced.
A jury found two of the members -- Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta -- not guilty of federal conspiracy charges during a trial last year.
In a statement released following that verdict, Whitmer's office said the alleged plot was "the result of violent, divisive rhetoric that is all too common across our country."
"There must be accountability and consequences for those who commit heinous crimes. Without accountability, extremists will be emboldened," her office said in the statement.
veryGood! (58158)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Arab American stories interconnect in the new collection, 'Dearborn'
- Rescue begins of ailing US researcher stuck 3,000 feet inside a Turkish cave, Turkish officials say
- Disgraced Louisiana priest Lawrence Hecker charged with sexual assault of teenage boy in 1975
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Novak Djokovic steals Ben Shelton's phone celebration after defeating 20-year-old at US Open
- Judge denies Mark Meadows’ request to move his Georgia election subversion case to federal court
- As Jacksonville shooting victims are eulogized, advocates call attention to anti-Black hate crimes
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Updated COVID shots are coming. They’re part of a trio of vaccines to block fall viruses
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Crashing the party: Daniil Medvedev upsets Carlos Alcaraz to reach US Open final
- Disgraced Louisiana priest Lawrence Hecker charged with sexual assault of teenage boy in 1975
- Biden finds a new friend in Vietnam as American CEOs look for alternatives to Chinese factories
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Vicky Krieps on the feminist Western ‘The Dead Don’t Hurt’ and how she leaves behind past roles
- Greek authorities evacuate another village as they try to prevent flooding in a major city
- For nearly a quarter century, an AP correspondent watched the Putin era unfold in Russia
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Authorities search for grizzly bear that mauled a Montana hunter
Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis apologize for ‘pain’ their letters on behalf of Danny Masterson caused
IRS targets 1,600 millionaires who owe at least $250,000
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Richie and More Stars Turn Heads at Ralph Lauren's NYFW 2024 Show
'Wait Wait' for September 9, 2023: With Not My Job guest Martinus Evans
Celebrity couples keep breaking up. Why do we care so much?